A suction pool cleaner attaches to an existing skimmer and filtration system in order to extract debris from surface pool water just like a vacuum for carpets. Suction cleaners are great for removing finer debris and for leaves that collect at the bottom of swimming pools. Some suction pool cleaners even have scrubbing abilities.
With so many suction pool cleaner options out there, deciphering what is the best suction style pool cleaner for your needs can become challenging. The type of suction pool cleaner you purchase must work on your pool surface whether it is for Pebble Tec, fiberglass, vinyl, concrete etc.
Since a suction pool cleaner is dependent on an existing pump and filtration system, its performance and efficiency vary depending on the condition and reliability of the existing system. Maintenance of the entire pool system is essential for gaining optimum performance from the cleaner.
Here Are the Best-Selling Suction Pool Cleaners in 2018
We now look at some of the best suction based cleaners available on the market based on features, benefits, price, service and warranty.
Hayward Poolvergnuegen 896584000-020
- Suitable for all pool types
- Excellent maneuverability around obstacles
- Intelligent steering system ensures complete coverage
- Requires low maintenance
- Affordable and reliable
- Does not have the ability to scrub
- Only works on concrete surfaces
- No timer option available
The Pool Cleaner’s four-wheel drive gives it the power to clear obstacles seamlessly without getting stuck on drains or corners. It works efficiently in shallow to deep pools and climbs up walls, leaving no spots for you to clean manually.
There is no built-in filter to clean, no electrical connections to maintain and very few moving pieces to replace which makes it a good investment for the money. One of the most versatile pool cleaner – it works for large pools, dive pools, lap pools, even older pools regardless of their shape and size.
XtremepowerUS Automatic Suction Vacuum
- Low priced suction pool cleaner
- Cleans in-ground pools of all shapes and surfaces
- Easy to install and use
- Does not require maintenance
- Only accommodates small-medium sized pools
- Does not work in shallow depth under 3 ft
- Does not pick leaves
- Does not climb walls
XtremepowerUS is one of the most affordable pool vacuum cleaners in the in-ground pool cleaning category. This particular suction pool cleaner is better designed to pick on micro dirt and algae rather than large debris or leaves. It comes with an adjustable hose length which makes it easier to position around the pool.
For the size and weight, this machine is easy to transport and operate. You can expect premium service without a hitch for close to two years with no extra tools needed.
BARACUDA G3 W03000 Advanced Suction Side Automatic Pool Cleaner
- Works on any surface type
- Climbs and cleans walls
- Picks up on small to medium sized leaves
- Affordable and durable
- Does not pick up large leaves
- Regular cleaning needed to avoid it from clogging
- Requires higher degree of suction
The Baracuda G3 is easy to install and use. It is extremely durable as it has only one moving part. No complicated gears, wheels or a flapper means it’s simple to operate and requires low to zero maintenance. This versatile cleaner has the ability to work on all types of pool surfaces. It is ideal for in-ground pools and removes all kinds of finer debris as well as smaller leaves.
Another great feature of this product is that it effortlessly adjusts to the flow of the water which builds up performance. What’s important is that this cleaner is reliable and of high quality.
Hayward 500 Aquabug
- Kid-friendly design
- Navigates efficiently for better cleaning results
- Suitable for all pool types
- Cleans walls and steps
- Easy to install and use
- Cannot suck up large leaves
- It can overturn if wrinkles are big
- Not recommended to be used for soft-sided or in-ground pools
The Aquabug is designed to clean permanently-installed above-ground pools of all surfaces, shapes, and sizes. Installing this pool cleaner is a straightforward 10-minute process that helps save hours of frustration and backbreaking work. Its pre-programmed steering system helps it get into corners, climb walls and steps leaving no spot uncleaned and leaving you relaxed and cool.
Aquabug cleans small dirt and debris very well, so much so that you’ll never need to manually empty and clean debris bags. This bug also improves water circulation keeping your pool cleaner for longer without overusing alternate chemicals.
Intex Auto Pool Cleaner
- Fully automatic, easy to use
- Does not require manual assistance
- Quite inexpensive for an auto suction pool cleaner
- Hooks on to most existing Intex pool systems making set up easy and hassle-free
- Designed specifically for Intex pool owners
- Does not have wall climbing ability
- Not the best looking bot in the market
The Intex Auto Pool cleaner is a perfect vacuum for above ground, Intex pool owners. It is efficient in cleaning the surface of your pool of dirt and debris using little more than your existing filtration system.
The automated feature allows the bot to get on with hard work while you relax and enjoy. This suction pool cleaner does quite a lot of heavy lifting for its price.
- Sturdy, compact and efficient
- Aggressive rubber tires provide excellent climbing ability on most surfaces
- Ideal for pools with 2-speed or variable speed pumps
- Patented valve lock technology
- Perfect for in-ground covered pools
- Easy to set up and easy to clean
- Maintenance is fairly easy and parts are cheap
- Uses a separate hose that is quite different from normal ones
- Has trouble sometimes dealing with large amounts of debris
This cool looking suction bot is one of the most reliable and sturdy units on the market today and at quite a reasonable price. Its large rubber tires and impressive suction capacity allows this bot to climb up walls and sweep across pool floors in no time leaving behind clean debris free pool water.
A popular and recommended choice of many pool geeks this bot is a beast when it comes to sucking up dirt, grime, sand, leaves, algae and pretty much anything else you could throw at it.
Hayward 925ADC Navigator Pro
- Ability to climb walls and get into coves
- Extremely silent
- Automated SmartDrive Steering for better and more efficient pool coverage
- Easy to install and use
- Extended 4-year warranty
- This model only works on gunite pool surfaces
- Issues with ball bearing and other internal components
The Hayward Navigator is the dinosaur of suction pool cleaners and this new model is just as dependable as the old ones. The perfect automatic suction pool cleaner for gunite pools that has the ability to climb walls, stairs and get into areas you just didn’t think possible.
The excellent warranty terms and fair price make this the ideal choice for gunite pool owners when it comes to keeping their beautiful pool sparkling clean.
Pentair 360042 Kreepy Krauly Suction-Side
- Extremely reliable and durable design (only one moving part)
- Easy to install and use
- The new design helps channel debris directly into the filtration system
- Automatically regulates travel speed
- Great value for money
- Easy to maintain and clean
- Drive float directional system fails to get around steps and corners
- Limited warranty period
This new model Pentair Kreepy Krauly is the ideal suction pool cleaner for most pool types. The new design features big flappers around the base that collects debris and pushes it up against a one-inch vacuum hose resulting in a fast and efficient cleanup of dirt, sand, leaves, algae and other forms of small debris.
The Pentair 360042 is an affordable lightweight suction pool cleaner that will keep any small to large size pool looking clean with minimal effort.
Hayward PHS21CST AquaNaut
- Excellent at picking large pieces of debris without clogging thanks to its V-Flex technology
- Roller skates help maintain suction on uneven substances and obstacles
- Applicable for all pool surfaces
- Ideal when used with variable speed pumps
- Easy to set up and maintain
- Expensive for a pool vacuum
- Has no scrubbing ability
- Cannot climb stairs
The Hayward AquaNaut comes in two sizes. The size 200 is great for smaller pools while the size 400 is ideal for larger in-ground and above-ground pools. The 200 may look small but it has a large appetite for debris.
This little bot thanks to AquaNaut’s V-flex technology is able to pass leaves, twigs, pebbles, dirt, and grime all through the cleaner leaving your pool looking cleaner than ever even after the worst storms. Its beautiful simplistic design and application ensures that it performs as well as it looks.
Pentair GW9500 Kreepy Krauly Great White Inground Pool Cleaner
- Could both scrub and vacuum bottom of pool floor
- Great at sucking up leave, dirt and grime
- SmartTrac Programmed Steering helps with navigation around obstacles
- Ability to clean all pool surfaces
- Convenient and easy to use
- Automated functionality makes pool cleaning a breeze
- Comes with its own hose that has 4 sections leading to leaves and debris often getting stuck on each joint, which makes cleaning a hassle
- A flimsy body that has had issues with cracking and parts failure after 1-2 years of use
- Too expensive
- Cannot go up pool stairs – Limited traction and climbing ability
The Pentair Kreepy Krauly is an automatic in-ground pool cleaner that works both as a vacuum and a scrubber. Thanks to its bristle drive mechanism this hungry pool cleaner is able to scrub of the toughest contaminants and dirt from pool floors leaving pool water looking clean and clear.
The Pentair is a popular suction pool cleaner as it is easy to set up and has the ability to attach to pretty much any existing pump or skimmer. Its 15-inch wide scrubbing ability is what really differentiates this product from the rest of its competitors.
Things to consider before purchase
Type of Pool Surface
Many suction pool cleaners are built specifically for certain pool surfaces. Making sure that you purchase one that is suitable for your pool surface whether it be vinyl, concrete, Pebble Tec, fiberglass etc. is extremely important.
Hoses can be a nuisance and especially annoying when it leads to your pool cleaner being tangled up or develops leaks. Quality hoses are made from materials that are more resilient to wear and tear.
Wheels over Flappers
Wheeled suction pool cleaners are for climbing walls whereas suction pool cleaners with flappers usually trawl across the pool floor sucking up debris just like a catfish.
Suction pool cleaners that are equipped with bristles or brushes are better cleaners as they are able to scrub of contaminants and dirt from pool surfaces.
Any automated suction pool cleaner should have excellent climbing abilities so that it can do a thorough cleaning job all around the pool including the floor, sides of the wall, waterline and even stairs.
Pool cleaners are expensive and thus it is important that the one you plan on purchasing is made from tough, durable materials that can take the wear and tear of hard work.
What type of warranty is being offered by the manufacturer and on what terms?
The best pool cleaners are efficient in terms of both the amount of energy they use and the number of cleaning cycles they complete in a given time period.
Features like programmable timers and intelligent navigation systems make vacuuming large or small pools hassle-free.
Ensuring that the cleaning and maintenance process is fairly simple and cost-effective is also an important factor to consider when making a purchase decision.
What is the best suction pool cleaner?
After reviewing ten of the best suction pool cleaners it is safe to say that the best suction pool cleaner is one that best suits a customer’s individual needs. However, the zodiac is perhaps the best all-round suction cleaner available in the market today.
The Zodiac MX 6 has a beautiful design matched with powerful performance. Its sturdy body and legendary reliability makes this the ideal suction pump for sucking up all kinds of debris including leaves, algae, dirt, sand, grime, bugs etc.
This suction pump works on any pool and on any surface whether it is vinyl, Pebble Tec or fiberglass; this will vacuum all the debris it can get its wheels on. Highly recommended by pool professionals and experts.